The South Carolina Tort Claims Act and Federal Tort Claims Act dictate your rights to sue the government if you contend that you were injured because of the negligence of a federal, state, county, or city entity. This Act provides certain defenses to these entities not normally afforded to other individuals. It also sets forth different time lines as to when the lawsuit must be filed and methods to allow the extension of those time lines.
- Examples of these types of cases include:
- Automobile Wrecks with a governmental entity
- Students injured at school
- Wrecks caused by construction work to roadways
- Amusement park equipment that malfunctions
- False arrest
- Injury or death due to being improperly incarcerated or arrested